Falling objects are a common cause of injuries in the construction industry, which can include equipment, tools, and debris that fall from elevated areas such as roofs or scaffolds. These objects can cause severe injuries such as concussions, traumatic brain injuries, and even fatalities to workers below. If you or your loved one has been injured by a falling object at a construction site in Queens, New York, construction accidents lawyer Keetick Sanchez. All consultations are free – call now at (646) 701-7990.
What Types Of Injuries Are Caused By Falling Objects?
The falling objects can hit any part of your body and cause a range of injuries. However, many times construction debris hits the head, which can lead to concussions, brain damage, or even fatalities.
Other common injuries include neck, shoulder, back, and spinal cord injuries; broken bones and fractures; penetrating injuries. Such accidents can cause paralysis, disabilities and end a career, leaving the victim with no means of income. Seeking compensation from liable parties can help alleviate some of the financial stress caused by these injuries and allow victims to focus on their physical and emotional recovery.
What Causes Falling Object Accidents?
The construction site accidents leading to heavy objects falling and injuring a person can have a number of causes. The most common are the following:
- Lack of safety at the construction site. The workers at the construction site should take extra care not to let the construction materials, working tools, or debris drop from higher levels. dropped while being hoisted from one level to another. The same applies to crane and lift operators who should secure the construction materials;
- Lack of warning signs. Some areas of the construction site are just too dangerous to enter. Site workers and visitors, as well as passersby, should be effectively warned of the hazardous conditions. Barricades and warning signs should not be placed too close to dangerous areas;
- Lack of supervision. The construction process on the site should be supervised at all times. The site supervisor should make sure the workers secure the construction materials, dispose of construction debris and follow safety protocols. The workers should wear the safety equipment and undergo safety training to minimize the accident risks;
- Lack of machinery maintenance. The mechanical defects of the construction equipment can cause a load drop or of the machinery fall. The timely maintenance, testing, and inspections in line with safety requirements can protect people from injuries;
What is NY Falling Object Labor Law?
The New York Falling Object Labor Laws demand safeguards against falling objects, including:
- Installation of catch platforms on the exterior vertical walls of any building or structure, designed to catch and secure falling objects or materials from upper work areas
- Provision of overhead protection on multi-point suspension scaffolds in areas prone to falling objects or material hazards
- Placement of overhead safeguards at the crosshead of hoist cars employed for the hoisting of materials to shield individuals from falling objects.
- Implementation of sheds or other overhead protection on walkways where falling objects or materials pose a threat
- Use of protective platforms above the work level in elevator shafts
- Provision of overhead protection for every hoisting machine operator using material platforms or bucket hoists
- Overhead safeguards for tower crane cabs and remotely controlled stations.
- A significant overhead shelter or barrier is required to safeguard forklift truck operators from falling objects and materials.
- Installation of a substantial overhead canopy or screen is necessary to protect forklift truck operators from falling objects and materials.
Moreover, in addition to the New York Labor Law, employers are required to adhere to the General Duty Clause by the federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA). This provision requires them to provide a secure work environment devoid of perceived hazards that can cause severe physical harm or death.
What Should You Do If A Falling Object Causes Your Injury?
If you were injured by a falling object or debris from a construction site, you may be able to receive compensation for your injury. You may have the right to compensation if the object caused you an injury because of another person’s careless behavior.
Our Lawyer Will Work Hard To Help You Get Compensation For Injuries Received As A Result Of Negligence.
If you or someone you care about has been injured by a falling object from a construction site, schedule a free consultation today! Contact Keetick Sanchez, a top-rated Queens construction accident lawyer from the K L Sanchez Law Office. Understanding your rights under the law can give you peace of mind after an injury.